DATE: Saturday 20 July 2019
START TIME: 07h00
ONLINE ENTRIES ARE OPEN:
RACE ENTRY FEES: R300
ONLINE ENTRIES CLOSE: 10 July 2019
NUMBER COLLECTION AND RACE REGISTRATION: At the Race Marquee on the Sea Point Promenade, opposite the SABC building:
- Friday, 19 July 2019 from 15h00 to 20h00
LATE ENTRIES ARE ACCEPTED SUBJECT TO CAPACITY AS SET BY THE CITY OF CAPE TOWN.
PLEASE NOTE: NO ENTRIES WILL BE TAKEN ON THE MORNING OF THE RACE!
- Friday, 19 July 2019 from 15h00 to 20h00
- Saturday, 20 July 2019 from 05h30 to 07h00
From the start the on the Sea Point Promenade, runners are treated to beautiful coastal views as they make their way towards the Sea Point Swimming Pool, then looping back towards the Lighthouse, where they turn to complete the loop at the Promenade.
Unlike the 100km distance, runners of the 50km Mini Ultra will complete the loop a total of 10 times.
Final route instructions will be given at the briefing session on Saturday morning 20 July 2019 at 06h30
Medals for all finishers!
THIS RACE IS RUN UNDER THE AUSPICES OF W.P.A. & ATHLETICS SOUTH AFRICA
THE ASA AND IAAF RULES WILL GOVERN THIS EVENT RULES AND INFORMATION
1. Closing date for all pre-entries is on or before 10 July 2019. Only online entries via RaceTec will be taken for both the 100km & 50km race. Entry fees are not refundable under any circumstances. No substitutions will be permitted. Only entries received by 10 July are guaranteed T-shirts at registration.
2. The 100km + 50km ultras will start on Saturday 20 July at 07h00. The start is on the promenade at Sea Point, opposite SABC (next to the race Marquee) and finishes at the same venue at 22h00 (15 hours). The Cape Town 100km+50km are restricted to runners/walkers only. Wheelchair athletes with an accompanying wheelchair pusher, are required to submit a written application to the organisers. This application must be submitted no later than the final closing date.
3. Your RaceTec timing chip must be laced onto one of your running shoes for the duration of the race. NO CHIP, NO RESULTS, NO EXCEPTIONS! The time limit for the 100km /50km ultra is 15 hours. You must retire at 22h00 where ever you are on the route.
4. All runners are required to attend the important briefing session on Saturday 21 July at 06h30 in the Marquee.
5. It is vital that you bring the printed race acknowledgement or receipt and proof of identity (e.g. ID document, passport, driver’s licence, etc.) to registration. Minimum age to enter is 20 years old on race day. You must collect your Registration pack, RaceTec Timing Chip (if ordered) and T-shirt (for those who qualify) prior to the race at the Registration Marquee, opposite the SABC building, Sea Point, Cape Town on Friday 19 July from 15h00 to 20h00 and race morning 06h00 – 06h30 (NO ENTRIES WILL BE TAKEN ON THE MORNING OF THE RACE). If you are unable to collect your race pack, a third party can collect on your behalf with a printed copy of the entry acknowledgement as well as a letter of authorisation from the entrant. This letter needs to state both the entrant and the person collecting the race pack’s ID number as well as the signature of both parties. The person collecting the race pack must have some form of identification. Runners may NOT claim their registration pack, RaceTec Timing chip or T-shirt after registration closes. These will not be forwarded and no refunds will be given.Temporary licence holders when registering must complete and hand in the tear off strip from the number in order to be eligible to compete.
6. There will be 2 refreshment stations along the 5km loop (-+ 2.5km be apart). These will be stocked with Coke, water and Powerade. Soup and bread will be available in the marquee.
7. The NO MOBILE SECONDING rule will be enforced very strictly. No mobile seconds of any description will be allowed on the route. The STAND AND HAND rule will apply.
Any transgressions will lead to disqualification.
8. Distances of less than 50k and 100km (in multiples of 5k) will be timed and recorded by the official timers.
9. One race number (bib) will be issued. Registered athletes must wear their ASA licenses on the front and back of their vest. The race number must be worn on the front of the vest, partially covering the ASA licence, so that the ASA licence sponsor remains visible. Temporary licensed runners must wear the race number on the front of their vest and the temporary license on the back.
10. In terms of IAAF rules no personal sponsors patches/markings are allowed on any competitors clothing or person.
11. The use of music players with headphones is not allowed and may result in disqualification.
12. Ample space on the lawns near the main marquee is available for clubs and supporters to set up gazebos in demarcated areas.
REFRESHMENTS – will be on sale to supporters and the public.
PARKING – NO Vehicles are allowed on the lawns at any time! Use public parking spaces in the surrounding area.
13. Conveniently located portable and/or public toilets along the entire loop will be accessible to the athletes throughout the race. Please use these and do not foul any public area.
14. A strict anti-litter rule will be applied throughout the race. Several clearly marked, cardboard litter bins will be located along the entire 5 km loop. Numerous public litter bins are also found along the entire route. Runners failing to use the bins will make themselves liable for disciplinary action from race officials and referees.
15. A professional medical facility will be available at the start/finish area to attend to any emergencies.
16. Every kilometre of the 5 km loop will be clearly signposted. See the route map on website for details. It is flat and being at sea level is suited to PB’s and records. Street lighting along the entire loop makes night running relatively safe.
17. All successful finishers of the 100 km & 50 km ultra race will receive their medals shortly after finishing, pending referee’s confirmation. 100km entrants may elect to downgrade to 50km at any time after completing 50km. They will receive a 50km finishers medal but shall not be eligible for 50km prizes. Athletes wishing to downgrade must inform the Referees on duty. Athletes leaving the course for an extended period must inform a race referee on duty. First 5 men and women finishers = GOLD, Rest = Silver. Floating trophies will be awarded to the male and female winners of the 100 km event.
18. The official Prize Giving function for Prize Money winners will be held in the MARQUEE at 11h30 on SUNDAY 21 July 2019. Please be punctual.
19. The official lap scores and times will be recorded by RaceTec. Efforts will be made to display a progressive/provisional set of results at regular intervals on the notice/results boards in the marquee. A provisional set of results will be displayed on a notice board in the Marquee on Sunday 21July 2019 at the Prize Giving and official results will be available the following day.
20. The 100km race is a 2019 WP Championships & Incentive race.
WPA 100km Championship Prize Money
WPA domestic rules apply if there are less than 4 athletes in a prize category.
Men and Women (WP registered athletes only)
R1000 plus Gold Medal
R750 plus Silver Medal
R500 plus Bronze Medal
Detailed rules are available on www.wpa.org.za or on request from the organisers or the WPA office.
21. PRIZE MONEY
Open Men & Women 1. R2000 2. R 1000 3. R 750
22. SA BEST TIME
Overall male BRUCE FORDYCE’S 100 km time of 6h 25m 07s
Overall female HELEN JOUBERT’S 100 km time of 7h 31m 47s
Overall male GRAHAM MEYER’S 100 km time of 7h 05m 36s
Overall female STYNTJIE PRINS’S 100 km time of 9h 01m 05s
WP 100km records
Senior Men 6:46:10 Donovan Wright 2000
Veteran Men (40-49) 07:26:10 Zamani Spayer 1999
Master Men (50+) 11:08:35 Hilton Murry 2017
Senior Women 7:44:38 Charlotte Nobel 1997
Veteran Women (40-49) 9:36:37 Irma Zollner 1999
Master Women (50+) 13:07:49 Anna van Zyl 1999
WP 50km records
Senior Men 2:48:39 Gert Thys 2012
Veteran Men (40-49) 2:48:39 Gert Thys 2012
Master Men (50-59) 2:58:18 Vladimir Kotov 2010
GrandMaster Men (60+) 4:17:49 Len Keating 2001
Senior Women 3:21:01 Monica Drogemoller 1988
Veteran Women (40-49) 3:37:30 Jean Rayner 1997
Master Women (50-59) 4:03:32 Nancy Will 2005
GrandMaster Women (60+) 4:12:54 Nancy Will 2015
23. The organisers and sponsors accept no responsibility for injury or accident resulting from participation in the race.
For a comprehensive list of accommodation contact:
Cape Town Tourism, Burg Street, Cape Town
Tel: 021 487 6800 Fax 021 487 6899
FURTHER EVENT ENQUIRIES